Friday, January 25, 2008

~ Chip Off the Old Block ~


I'm sure there are some who feel we are far too strict with our children, that our expectations are too high.
I would have to agree that our expectations for our children's behavior and most importantly their character IS high.
However, is that wrong?
We keep that bar high in hopes that our children will seek excellence. I can't help but think of Jesus Christ whose life was one of excellence, perfection in every aspect.
Have we not been asked to emulate his behavior? To live lives striving after that example.

My children are not perfect. They are sinful human beings not unlike their parents. Hearing a sarcastic comment out of the mouth of my 12 year old shames me and forces me to examine my own heart attitudes. The irresponsible behavior and forgetfulness of our 9 year old humbles my husband when he acknowledges his own struggle with this.

Raising children is the most refining task we could ever accomplish in this life. We can't help but deal with our own imperfections and personal inadequacies when discipling our children. To disciple is to train, to model, to lead by example.
Wow! Daunting isn't it?! To be faced with our own struggles daily as we seek to train these children into responsible, compassionate, selfless adults is in its self a most overwhelming feat.

Thankfully, we are not alone in this! Only when we are willing to admit our shortcomings and faults are we able to receive the help from above that HE is only too willing to give. Where we are weak, HE is strong!
How grateful I am with a Heavenly father who is always ready to forgive and love unconditionally.
How could I extend anything less to my children?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin