Friday, August 14, 2009

~ Our Identity ~


Its strange how my children can go a way for a few days and I can miss them so much.
I yearn for them, feel a little sad, lose the pep in my step.

My dad wanted to take the kids up to his cottage for a few days..what a blessing really.
Not only is it fun for them, but it also allows me a break to focus on some things that need to get done.

With just baby My here, I can literally work hours with very little interruption, and yet I still feel forlorn.

Crazy huh?

Having my children away has made me realize how very much motherhood is ingrained into every fibre of my being.

Motherhood is so much a part of who I am. Although, it is not all that I am.

Motherhood does not define me. Being a wife and a helpmeet to my husband does not define me. I remember a time when it did. I remember feeling that however tradesman saw me or felt about me was then how I would see myself. My identity became wrapped up in my marriage. Whatever state my marriage was in was how I then saw myself.

Gradually, when I had children I saw the same thing become true as well. The amount of love that I received from my children, the validation I felt as a mother, the way that my children behaved all reflected back on my sense of identity.

However, my most important role yet is a follower of Christ.

My identity is not found in my role as my "childrens mother" nor is it found in my role as my "husbands wife."

I am a new creature in Christ. My identity is found in Him alone.

Motherhood is for HIS glory.

Being a wife and mother should not define our importance or our sense of security.

He longs for us to see ourselves as He sees us. We are the bride of Christ. The blushing, hope-filled, all things made new, beautiful bride of Christ.

We need to relish in this ladies. Relish in this most sacred, and important role.

I think I feel that pep in my step coming back.

Love,

3 comments:

heart at home said...

Thanks for this reminder, it is so very easy to loss sight of this. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

So very true! Not just for mothers and wives but for employees and children and siblings etc etc.

J

Amy said...

Wow, thank you so much for this post! I need to be reminded of this daily.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin